January 6, 2019

Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man by Fannie Flagg, Alabama Native, Actress, Comedian


I’ve always had a fondness for Fannie Flagg…Grew up with her comedy…didn’t know she wrote Fried Green Tomatoes-a great novel.  And now I’ve got other books to add to my 2019 pile and it’s just the first week of 2019.

Anyway, my only volunteer for Alabama dropped last minute due to family issues and I struggled to decide what to do this year if I didn’t have a person to fill.  Last year I did virtual libraries but this year, I’m going to do authors…starting with Fannie Flagg. 
I found this information at Alabama Living.

Fannie Flagg was born Patricia Neal in Birmingham. She is an actress, comedian and author of nine novels, including Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop CafĂ©, Welcome to the World, Baby Girl!, Can’t Wait to Get to Heaven, I Still Dream About You and The Whole Town’s Talking.

The book-jacket copy says: “Here is Fannie Flagg's high-spirited and unabashedly sentimental first novel, the precursor to the bestselling Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe. Taken from the pages of Daisy Fay Harper's journal, this is a coming of age story set in rural Mississippi that is by turns hilarious and touching.”

Downloaded from: Alabama Living

Truman Capote was from Alabama
So was non-fiction writer, Rick Bragg
And there’s a good list at the Alabama Living link above. 

That in mind, visit- Alabama Living and come back here to let me know one author’s name from that site.  Leave that name in a comment to be eligible for the end of month drawing.  Remember to leave a contact link so I can find you if you win.

Thanks for joining me today to start off the new year of 50 Authors from 50 States. 
(All Credit to Alabama Living https://www.al.com –Source: Wil Elrick)

10 comments:

  1. Homer Hickam is an author from Alabama. Thanks for this interesting post. saubleb(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many good writers based in Alabama, it's difficult to narrow it down to one. But I'm going to go with Sena Jeter Naslund. Her 'Ahab's Wife' gave us a different viewpoint for Melville's classic character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Fannie Flagg! Didn't realize so many writers are from Alabama!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daniel Wallace is very talented and creative. elliotbencan(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Harper Lee. I have never read To Kill a Mockingbird. I once had the book but the print was so fine I gave it away. I believe I am going to get it on my Kindle now. mdkauai @ gmail (dot) com.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debra Goldstein is a mystery author and lives in Alabama. She is a retired judge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I only saw the movie of Fried Green Tomatoes, but wow, what a wonderful story. I know there were tragedies too, but if the movie was great, I can just imagine the book. Wish I had time to read everything. Lots of history in Alabama. I've been to many parts of it, many times. The whole state is Deep South and green. Enjoyed the post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Visited the site and it turns out that I've read several Alabama authors, it seems. My favorite remains Fannie Flagg. Her books are touching, funny and warm. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. from Patricia Dusenbury: Harper Lee grew up in Monroeville AL, where her father was an attorney. To Kill A Mockingbird takes place in a disguised Monroeville and is based upon a true event. Fun fact: Truman Capote lived next door to Harper Lee when they were children. They were lifelong friends and he dedicated In cold blood to her

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rick Bragg will be coming to Atlanta as the featured author for Roswell Reads in March. He'll conduct a writing workshop and is the literary luncheon speaker. You can find out more at www.roswellreads.com

    ReplyDelete

Follow 50 Authors from 50 States blog for the latest