March 9, 2014

Ana‘Gia Wright’s Southern Comfort of Georgia



I’m a firm believer that reading and writing go hand and hand. A southerner through and through, I love my Georgia peaches and pecans while curling up with a good book. I’m more than convinced that my characters love Georgia as much as I do.

They spend countless hours trampling around the state seeking out the next great adventure and Georgia has
plenty of adventure to offer. Even for those with fictitious worlds a taste of my beloved Georgia can’t help but seep into the seams of the story. Settings are the foundations of my stories and location, location, location sums up the variety of experiences Georgia has to offer.

Whether a lover of city life or a dreamer of country outings like me, Georgia has something for everyone. Mountains in the north, beaches to the east, cities with monuments and rich histories, Georgia sings a song of
its own.

“Welcome to Sparta,” is a saying most natives know; a reminder of In the Heat of the Night, filmed in Sparta, GA. The trademark “Yeee…Haaww!” can still be heard as the members of some of the smaller counties pay tribute of the Dukes of Hazard. Visitors can even speak with a real Southern Belle, when they visit Stately Oaks for a Gone with the Wind tour.

With Civil Right history galore, Georgia is the home of Ebenezer Baptist Church, the Martin Luther King Jr. National Historic site, and the APEX (African American Panoramic Experience) Museum. For others with a love of historic houses, take a tour around Savannah or visit The Little White Whitehouse. Interested in the native population? The Kolomoki Mounds, Etowah Mounds, or Rock Eagle might grant you the answers
you seek.

The major cities are the places to schmooze with local celebrities. The FOX Theatre in Atlanta always has a show. The High Museum of Art and The Michael C. Carlos Museum at Emory University give visitors a taste of art and the past from around the world. We even have something for every race fan: drag strips through out the state with Road Atlanta and Atlanta Motor Speedway hosting major events during balmy fall nights and hot summer days.
 
A nature lover’s paradise I’ve filled water bottles with healing waters from the Warm Springs State Park to quench my thirst and heal what ails me. A hike up through the mountains to experience the waterfalls of Tallulah Gorge is a both a welcome distraction and a time of inspiration when the page before me remains blank. For those with a more adventurous spirit, visit Providence Canyon State Park to catch a glimpse of the “Little Grand Canyon” or walk on Georgia’s version of Mars at Panola Mountain State Park. For the lover of flowers, there is Callaway Gardens or the Atlanta Botanical Gardens and Lake Lanier is only a little ways up the road for a relaxing moment.
 
Regardless of what wets your whistle or tickles your fancy, Georgia has something for everyone. So come on down and get a taste of our Southern style sweet tea and hospitality. You might just find that hidden gem to
enrich your mind and spirit.

I am currently running a contest to celebrate my latest release: Doubletake (2014). For more information, feel free to explore my where to find me links--

Where to find me:
(all pictures provided by author)

7 comments:

  1. Ana'Gia, the words you use to describe your beautiful state are inspiring! It sounds like you could never be bored in Georgia! Thanks for the wonderful virtual tour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly interesting. Thanks so much for sharing your state! Radine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your new novel! I've never been to Georgia but it sounds like a beautiful state.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! A friend who lived in Tennessee for a while traveled through Georgia and said that when they drank healing waters - I had till now forgotten the name of the Park they talked about - the wife's chronic headaches disappeared. Your article is interesting and shows that Georgia has much to offer. My favorite would be the places in nature. Just wondering... Has anyone tried sliding down that waterfalls you show in the picture. Not sure what's at the bottom but looks like fun with the right equipment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very well written. I am definitely putting this state on my 'must visit' list.

    I am picturing it all in my mind as I write this. Ah, too beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your pictures. That waterfall looks gorgeous. I guess we'll have to add Georgia to the states we need to camp in, if we ever get to retire and travel to state parks in states we haven't been to yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good blog. I've spent a lot of time in Georgia. My son lives with his family in Roswell, so I've had a taste of Atlanta, including the traffic, and the gorgeous mountains to the north. I lived in SC, just 20 minutes from lovely Savannah, a treat in itself. Georgia has a lot of history and lovely places to see. Fun to walk along the Chatahoochie River, or visit the apple orchards up north, or Tybee Island to the east.

    ReplyDelete

Follow 50 Authors from 50 States blog for the latest