July 7, 2020

My Nebraska Home-Loree Peery

Though I’ve lived on an acreage in southeast Nebraska for 43 years, “home” to me will forever be the little farm in Antelope County straight south of Niobrara. 

Our family owned that homesteaded quarter of a section for the longest, 50 years. I’m the oldest of seven and the younger siblings don’t have the memories that the older of us do, so I agreed to sell in 2006. Those wonderful pasture grasses, 80 acres of which were native, no longer exist. Only a few trees border the ground that is now a vast cornfield.


But no one can take the memories. I’ve recorded farm and schooldays of my youth on my website. http://www.loreepeery.com

I love this state of Nebraska and have set all my stories here, except for an upcoming release. Courting Country is set mostly in South Dakota.

Road Trip to Deadwood: 2020 Canceled

As I write this in May, the nation is still mostly shut down due to Covid 19. I was dreaming of a June author/reader event in the Black Hills of South Dakota, set to take place in historic Deadwood during Wild Bill Days. My hubby and I honeymooned in the Hills. From Mount Moriah Cemetery, he snapped a picture that shows the venue in the background as it appeared in the 1970s. 

A writer is a writer. Writing happens once a writer follows a compulsion. Writing can’t be forced. A writer is compelled to write, no matter where, no matter when, and the results come from pen or keyboard. I’ve been a vociferous reader since age four. I believe a reader can’t help but read any more than a writer can’t not write.

The written word is as unique as a personality and as complex as the individual mind that sets down those words. Such variety fills the Deadwood Mountain Grand during Wild Deadwood Reads, now scheduled for June 2021. The genres represented are as varied as the people who stand near their signing tables. www.wilddeadwoodreads.com 

Though I consider myself an extrovert, I’ve been known to experience anxiety in new social settings. Thus, I opted to attend 2018 WDR as a reader. My presence was a no-brainer once I read that my publisher’s authors of the Heart’s Haven series would be there signing. I certainly surprised Delia Latham, Marianne Evans, Tanya Stowe, and Mary Manners. Meeting other authors was an added bonus. Plus, I came home with some great reads. 

For my WDR signing in 2019, I dressed without checking the mirror. My kimono was askew until I removed it later that afternoon. That extravert tendency I mentioned? I will whisper a gentle notice if I see anyone’s wardrobe glitch. 

As much as I enjoy the fresh air and history of the Black Hills, as well as the scenery of South Dakota, Nebraska is my home on earth. This country girl hopes to write as many more stories as possible set in my beloved state, and am thankful Annette shares my homeland. I also hope my fictional stories appeal to adult readers who enjoy stories written from a Christian perspective, focused on the romance. My latest, Repurposed, should reach the teenaged heart also. These publications include novels and novellas for women and men in the Contemporary, Romance, Historical, Time Travel, and

Mystery/Suspense categories. I write of redeeming grace with a sense of place. The Frivolities Series and many others, including Christmas Extravaganza novellas, are from White Rose Publishing. The book based on my father’s unsolved homicide, Touches of Time, and a few other self-publications, are available on Amazon. I am who I am by the grace of God: Christian, country girl, wife, mother, grandmother and great-, sister, friend, and author. Selections are available on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/LoRee-Peery/e/B004UAGL2W/ref

I look forward to meeting Annette and and other Nebraska authors personally one of these days, maybe at Wild Deadwood Reads.

(All Info Provided and Released by Author)

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the spot on your blog, Annette. Hubby and I just returned from a week in the Black Hills, where we stayed with my brother north of Rapid City. Our sister from Phoenix is also visiting him. I found a used Parcheesi game for $2.20, and the three of us became Nebraska farm kids again as we played and shared family memories. You just can't take the country out of us kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your pictures, LoRee. I can't wait for Wild Deadwood Reads in 2021.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Barb. It was fun to compare a honeymoon photo with a current one. I'm looking forward to seeing you again also!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful feature. Deadwood visit would be a wonderful experience and fascinating place. Thanks. elliotbencan(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to blame my 46th anniversary on not seeing this post earlier. Thanks for your interest in Deadwood. We did visit this past June and I was introduced to affogato.

    ReplyDelete

Follow 50 Authors from 50 States blog for the latest