July 21, 2019

New Jersey is the Garden State, and I never knew-Jennifer Wilck


New Jersey is the Garden State, and I never knew how much that would mean to me until I grew up and became a homeowner. When I was a child, my mom LOVED flowers. She’d plant them in the yard, fill vases on tables, and grow pots on shelves. I didn’t pay much attention to them, other than to think they were pretty.


When my husband and I moved into our first home, suddenly I was confronted by outdoor space that needed love. Because we had lots of shade, I planted impatiens. I’d spend hours adding soil and planting almost 100 plants. When my first child was born, she sat in her stroller or on a blanket and I raced between her and the dirt, trying to plant as much as I could before she needed me.

Now that my kids are grown, I have a lot more time on my hands, but I also have less energy. So I fill pots on my deck, which bloom in the bright sun and are immune to the critters, who don’t climb up on my deck (for the most part). Lately, I’ve started planting bulbs so the work I do can last for years, rather than a few months. I walk around my yard daily admiring my flowers—it kind of makes me feel like a new mother again, glorying in the progress of my babies. While New Jersey spring can be fickle, ranging in temperatures anywhere from the 40s to the 80s, and the rains are either overwhelming or non-existent, somehow, my garden has been growing consistently.

As I sit at my desk, table or sofa and write my books, I’m able to look out the window and enjoy the profusion of color that I’ve planted and arranged. I think about the irony of how like my mom I’m becoming, and I smile as my kids look at me and shake my head. I wonder which of them will turn out to like flowers, or if either of them will. Will they plant their own gardens as their babies sleep in the shade, or will they be too busy or disinterested to care?
Flowers, like romance novels, fill me with hope for a better world. They show me what is possible and they let me escape for a time. They teach me that some things are beyond my control—whether it’s how well a plant will grow, or how well a book will sell. And the connection to my state’s moniker—the Garden State—pleases my inner humorist. Most people think of my state as a series of highways and shopping malls. That description is accurate for those who take only a cursory glance. But for those who live here or visit for any length of time, there are plenty of surprise discoveries to make, including farming produce, hidden waterfalls, and flowers that bloom in the most surprising of places.

Jennifer started telling herself stories as a little girl when she couldn’t fall asleep at night. Pretty soon, her head was filled with these stories and the characters that populated them. Even as an adult, she thinks about the characters and stories at night before she falls asleep or walking the dog. Eventually, she started writing them down. Her favorite stories to write are those with smart, sassy, independent heroines; handsome, strong and slightly vulnerable heroes; and her stories always end with happily ever after.


In the real world, she’s the mother of two amazing daughters and wife of one of the smartest men she knows. When she’s not writing, she loves to laugh with her family and friends, is a pro at finding whatever her kids lost in plain sight, and spends way too much time closing doors that should never have been left open in the first place. She believes humor is the only way to get through the day and does not believe in sharing her chocolate.



She writes contemporary romance, some of which are mainstream and some of which involve Jewish characters. She’s published with The Wild Rose Press and all her books are available through Amazon, Barnes & Noble and The Wild Rose Press.


Buy here:

She tweets at @JWilck.
(all info provided from or downloaded and released from Author) 

22 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting me today, Annette!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your post especially the part about hope both as a gardener and romance novelist. Happy sales. Just read addicted to love. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Charlotte! Glad you enjoyed it and thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely posy, Jennifer! I love flowers as well, but sadly I don't have a green thumb. At least, there is the profusion of wildflowers in the spring to enjoy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really have one either, but I'm trying. The ton of rain we've gotten is helping me (the deer, not so much).

      Delete
  4. Jennifer, Your part of New Jersey sounds an awful lot like my area, here in Western New York. Folks tend to condemn us as part of the Big Apple, which couldn't be farther from the truth. I loved your beautiful post. What a gorgeous picture you paint,and what a great backdrop for your books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Laura, I think a lot of us are limited by the stereotypes of places we've heard of but never visited. So glad you liked the post.

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful post, Jennifer. I can see the many colorful blooms around your home. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't feel alone never knowing about 'The Garden State'. I was talking with friends the other day who didn't know that Dum Spiro Spero is the state motto of SC. It means While I breathe, I hope. Very beautiful post, Jennifer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely post, Jennifer. the photos of beautiful flowers, hearing of your success in growing--I'm very happy for you. And a little green--because I cant' seem to get anything to grow, even when I follow the directions faithfully. I salute you . Plant an iris for me---please :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbara. Unfortunately, since writing this post, the deer have eaten everything. Grrr.

      Delete
  8. NJ is one of the few states I've never been through, but I love the way it's described in books. You make it sound even brighter. Good luck, Jennifer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this post. I am a flower-lover, as my social media posts usually show. They bring happiness, beauty, and hope, much like romance. And like romance, there are also thorns, weeds, insects/animals/pests, storms, and all that villainous conflict. :o But we keep on cheering for a happy ever after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And having just read your post, I agree!

      Delete
  10. Lovely post, Jennifer. My husband is from Middlesex, NJ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice post, Jennifer! Great to hear how your writing mixes with your personal life. Best of luck on your books.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for this wonderful feature about New Jersey. I have visited and enjoyed the beaches and tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete

Follow 50 Authors from 50 States blog for the latest