June 9, 2019

Mississippi: The Birthplace of America’s Music by S.J. Francis

You may notice when I speak that I’m not native to the Southern states, certainly not to the beautiful state of Mississippi. My penchant for speaking and writing correct English and a lack of a Southern drawl immediately give that away. But despite many drawbacks down here, I love living in the South. When I lived in the frigid cold and snowy winters up North, I often found myself singing the tune,
“Oh I wish I was in Dixie, Hurrah, Hurrah. I wish I was in Dixie Land.” Don’t ask how that came to be, it just did. Music is sometimes mysterious that way popping up into our lives without a rhyme or reason. I write by music and exercise to it.

When you think of Mississippi, what thoughts come to mind? Cotton? Deep South? Magnolia? Crepe Myrtles? Laid back attitude? Slow moving? Good food? Civil War sites? Barbeques by the miles? How about music? Mississippi is known the world over as the birthplace of American Music. Whether it is Charley Patton and Son House's interpretations of the Delta Blues, Elvis Presley’s hip moving and shaking Rock 'n' Roll from Tupelo, or Jimmie Rodgers the Father of Country Music from Meridian, America’s musical tradition was born and refined in the culture, diversity and struggles of Mississippi. Music is the lifeblood of Mississippi. Everywhere one visits in the state are reminders and markers of the birth and love for music. What comes to mind when you think of music and Mississippi? Elvis Presley, the “King of Rock and Roll” once stated, “I happened to come along in the music business when there was no trend.” Gospel, country, jazz, bluegrass, and rock n’ roll have deep-running roots here. The sound is still alive and well. I know I hear it often.

My debut novel, Shattered Lies begins in Yazoo County, in the Delta region of Mississippi, and ends in New York City.  Blues had its birth in the Mississippi Delta.  The idea for this book came to me in 1999, but the story didn’t write itself until I moved down to Mississippi.  Two famous blues singers are associated with the County of Yazoo. Arnold Dwight "Gatemouth" Moore was an American blues and gospel singer, songwriter, radio disc jockey, community leader and pastor, later known as Reverend Gatemouth Moore. During his career as a recording artist, Moore worked with various jazz musicians, including Bennie Moten, Tommy Douglas and Walter Barnes, and his songs were recorded by B.B. King and Rufus Thomas. He was noted for his mellow singing voice, much in the style of Billy Eckstine.

Another American blues singer was Robert Leroy Johnson, a songwriter and musician. Johnson's vague documented life and death have given rise to much legend. The one most closely associated with his life is that he sold his soul to the devil at a local crossroads to achieve musical success. Before this so-called encounter with the devil, Johnson was at best a mediocre guitar player. Suddenly over night, he became a Blues wonder. He is now recognized as a master of the blues, particularly as a progenitor of the Delta blues style. His landmark recordings in 1936 and 1937 display a combination of singing, guitar skills, and songwriting talent that influenced later generations of musicians. Music is entwined in Mississippi life as evidenced by the establishment of the Mississippi Blues Trail. The Mississippi Blues Trail was created by the Mississippi Blues Commission in 2006 to “place interpretive markers at the most notable historical sites related to the birth, growth, and influence of the blues throughout the state of Mississippi. Within the state the trail extends from the Gulf Coast north along several highways to Natchez, Vicksburg, Jackson, Leland, Greenwood, Clarksdale, Tunica, Grenada, Oxford, Columbus, and Meridian. The largest concentration of markers is in the Mississippi Delta, but other regions of the state are also commemorated.” (Wikipedia)


Synopsis: Thirty-year-old Kate Thayer has a good life as a veterinarian running the family horse farm in the South until she uncovers an act of unimaginable treachery by those she trusted most and discovers that everything she knew about herself was a lie. Her paternal grandmother, the woman who raised her, is behind a number of devastating secrets Kate is compelled to discover. But the deeper she digs, the more betrayal she finds, changing her life in ways she could have never foreseen.


Thanks for stopping by to read about my debut novel and my new home state of Mississippi. I have two prizes to give away to a lucky winner —a copy of Shattered Lies (Kindle version OR Paperback, winner’s choice) and a Mississippi souvenir.  Simply leave a comment and your contact info in order to contact you should you win. 

You can read more about the award winning Shattered Lies, a mainstream/contemporary/family saga at my website: http://sjfranciswriter.com    There you’ll be able to connect with me and learn more about the award winning Shattered Lies, me and my blogs.


For more info about Mississippi and America’s Music:

17 comments:

  1. I am captivated with your fascinating and informative post today. What a delight to read about Mississippi. I enjoy the blues greatly and nothing can compare to that particular music for the heart and beauty. Your novel sounds intriguing and very unique. Thanks for this tour about a very special place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The south beckons. The music alone is enough to entice me to move. I love rock and roll as well as blues and jazz. This is real music which warms my heart and gives me the nostalgia from my era which I miss. Your book is certainly enthralling as family relationships and lies are always part of family sagas. elliotbencan(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been to the south and I certainly didn't know music began there. I always assumed it was someplace like Nashville. Your book sounds like something I'd like to read. I hope so. If I don't win a copy, I'll order one myself. Michelle. email is qsilvio251 at gmail dot com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed this post and learning about Mississippi. Very informative. I can see a family saga set in such a place. Very interesting read. I heard the tale about Robert Johnson and enjoyed learning more. Looking forward to reading your book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First, thanks, Annette for giving me the opportunity to appear on her wonderful blog. Thanks for allowing me the time to talk about Mississippi and the birth of America's music! Second, thanks to all those who took the time to visit. It is so nice to "meet" all of you and hear your wonderful comments! Have a great week! Keep reading! Authors are nothing without you!
    Cheers! S.J. Francis

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too was captivated by this post. I also had no idea American's music came from Mississippi. I always thought Nashville. Your book intrigued me and I already won a copy last year and a wonderful Mississippi souvenir but had to come back and read what else you had going on. Thanks for sharing. Your book was wonderful! I couldn't put it down and when I finally finished it, I was sad to go. Can't wait until your next book. Best wishes, Sandy sssilva014atgmaildotcom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your book was great. No prize for me necessary but I always check to see what you're doing next. I loved your book so much I own both paperback and kindle and am anxiously awaiting your next, especially the sequel to this one. Any idea when I can expect it? I hope you keep writing. I love the way you tell it like it is. No hedging. Just plain, frank English. Regards, Ann, a fan for life

    ReplyDelete
  8. Music, blues, jazz, rock and roll have shaped my life in so many ways. Being neighbors with Mississippi in Alabama means we've visited Miss. quite a few times. We both enjoyed reading your article. Ben and Sarah jacksonbensarah at gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed this post so much. I am another author who has lived in different parts of the country, and, like you, I am inspired by the mythology and culture of whatever place I'm in. I also enjoy researching the people and lifestyles of my settings. I can tell you are a thorough and sensitive author, and I'm definitely going to investigate this book. Saralyn Richard saralyn@saralynrichard.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. AnonymousJune 09, 2019

    Fascinating post. I've never been to the south and never had any intention of doing so, but this makes me curious about visiting. If nothing else to check out the music history. Kayla at hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read Shattered Lies and truly enjoyed it. I remember in the earlier chapters about the two twin horses being born, one white and one black and the significance it played in this story. I remember the protagonist, a young woman, finding the information she did in the attic. I pictured that house and attic and the barn outside as if I'd lived there myself. The book flowed well and it stuck in my memory. I still have a copy, so I'm not commenting to win a book I already have, but I did want to make a comment. Another reason is my husband and I lived in Mississippi for eight of the funniest years of our lives. We now live in Nashville, but I'll never forget our time there in Mississippi. I enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved Shattered Lies! A true Southern tale. When I think of Mississippi, Ithe think of the Gulf Coast, Southern cooking, mysterious swamps. All great settings for a novel.

    ReplyDelete
  13. AnonymousJune 13, 2019

    I just finished reading Shattered Lies by SJ Francis and stopped by her website. When I saw this post information, I decided to stop by. Your book is great! I just sent you an email, too. I hope to read more of your books, too. Sheri Caldwell (P.S. I don't need to win a copy but I wanted to comment.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello and thanks again to Annette for hosting me this week and for those who visited. Thanks so much for your support! It is greatly appreciated. Wish you all a great weekend! Cheers! S.J. Francis

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful post! I live in Florida and always looking to visit someplace new. Mississippi will be my next stop thanks to this info. I never thought of visiting there before. Your book sounds interesting. I've added it to my list of books to read. GayleSm14@outlook.com Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. There is obviously a lot more to the state of Mississippi I ever knew. Might even be worth a visit. I always wanted to see the Gulf coast and try some authentic Southern food. Next time I'll head that way instead of Florida. Would love to read Shattered Lies. Cathy Barbour at rgrr dot com

    ReplyDelete
  17. AnonymousJune 14, 2019

    Hello SJ Francis and Annette Snyder! I love reading this blog and these posts. I love hearing about places I've never been and probably will never visit. Even better, I love hearing about new authors I've never heard of. Shattered Lies sounds like a book I'd love to read whether I win it or not. P.S. But I hope I do, especially since I'm a newbie writer. Shelley Conway contact info ShC@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Follow 50 Authors from 50 States blog for the latest