March 31, 2019

The Indiana Mark R. Hunter Loves


Today's movie theaters are air conditioned, with 3D viewing, gigantic sound systems, reclining chairs, and service for full meals and sometimes booze. They bring a measure of luxury that fifty years ago rich people would have thought was too much.


But this is Indiana, so I wrote a novel about the drive-in.

You know: That place where air conditioning meant rolling down your windows and being attacked by mosquitoes. Where state of the art sound used to be a single speaker you hung on your window. Where your kids solved overcrowding by rolling out a blanket on the ground, or even laying on the car roof back in the day, when cars were hardier. Maybe people were hardier back then, too.

Totally worth it. I’ve written before about Hoosier State Parks, and drive-ins are part of the theme: There’s nothing better than being outdoors. As long as you bring your bug spray.


When I was growing up in rural Indiana, there were three drive-in movie theaters more or less close, if you had a car. And if you didn't have a car, you weren't going, anyway. Now there's one. (Theater--not car) There were once 4,000 drive-ins across the USA, and they had the advantage of privacy. Your whining kids were less likely to irritate your neighbors, and vice versa. The other guy next to you is on his cell phone? Not your problem, he's in another car.

Now there are only around 400 drive-ins left.

Only one is close to me: The Auburn-Garrett, which now has stereo radio sound and digital projection. 420 cars can fit there, and you can bring your own food and drinks, to see two movies for less than you'd pay for one in a regular theater. It's become generational for me: After I spent my childhood there, it was a regular destination for me and my two daughters, and after they flew the coop I started bringing my wife, who had never (!) been to one. Now my grandkids are visiting.


So yeah, I wrote Coming Attractions, a romantic comedy about the effort to save a northern Indiana drive-in movie theater from developers. Like going to the drive-in itself, it was a family affair: My daughters helped me outline the story and create the characters while waiting for the first movie to start. (You have to get there early to get the best spots.) I even wrote part of the first draft there.


There are lots of great things to do in Indiana. We have our museums, state parks, concert venues, historical sites, even sports stuff if you're so inclined. But if you want a taste of old-fashioned entertainment, a chance to bond with the family, and some less expensive fun, I maintain that the drive-in is the place to go.
 
Well, not in winter. But no plan is perfect.
I hope you come to visit one day! But meanwhile, one random commenter gets a copy of my newest book, Coming Attractions, for a first hand look at a drive-in theater and small-town Indiana.

Getting tackled at an Indiana drive-in movie theater is just the day's latest indignity for Maddie McKinley … but it’s certainly the low point. When she gets into the wrong van it brings a knee-jerk reaction from Logan Chandler, the father of the kids inside. Logan's embarrassed about roughing her up, but intrigued by the beautiful young woman from Boston, who arrived alone at the movies wearing an expensive dress. Unfortunately, he’s the local businessman leading a battle to save the drive-in from developers—and she’s the disgraced attorney sent to make sure it’s torn down.
The legal battle sets them both on a path to redemption and each other, with the help of quirky friends and family who have them figured out long before they do. Also, with the help of coffee. Lots of coffee.


Mark R. Hunter and his wife Emily live in northeast Indiana with their dog, Beowulf, and a cowardly ball python named Lucius. There he works as a 911 dispatcher and volunteer firefighter, serves on various town boards, and puzzles over the concept of free time.




All of their books, and a link to Mark’s blog, can be found on his website at www.markrhunter.com, and he has an Amazon Author Page at www.amazon.com/Mark-R-Hunter/e/B0058CL6OO.


Mark can also be found on social media, including: 

17 comments:

  1. Thanks, Mark for sharing Coming Attractions and the sad demise of one popular way to spend an evening: drive-in movies. Love the sound of your book. Keep writing! Cheers! S.J. Francis sjfrancis419@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, one thing you can be sure of is that I'll keep writing! Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Your book is a treasure which I would cherish. Drive-Ins are extinct. Another way of life which I loved gone forever. Thanks for your informative and lovely feature on your state and the drive-ins. Wishing you much happiness and enjoyment. saubleb(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, not quite extinct yet, not everywhere ... but definitely endangered. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. Your novel sounds captivating. Your post today resonates with me as I am older and appreciated the drive-ins which were in a simpler but wonderful era. What an unforgettable period which I grew up in and loved. elliotbencan(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My way of looking at it exactly! Thanks!

      Delete
  4. I never liked drive-in movies but your book sounds like a Grisham courtroom saga. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I like to think of it as the exact opposite of a Grisham saga! Way more humor--and way less legalistic accuracy. Maybe I shouldn't add that last part.

      Delete
  5. Mark's writing is humorous. He can't help himself when he has pen in hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I try! But it's not as much fun that way.

      Delete
  6. There are very few drive ins left in Canada as well. I can't recall if I've ever been to one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Canada should try an indoor drive-in. Like a parking garage, safe from snow and ice--that way you could at least show movies in July! :-)

      Delete
  7. Oh this book looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We put a lot of time into it, of course.

      Delete
  8. I was just roaming around the Children's Museum in Indy (It had the Star Trek exhibit, how could I miss it?) which is a really cool one. I loved the drive-in when I was a kid. We used to have an inflatable mattress in the bed of our pick-up truck. We had (maybe still do) one here but without anyone to come with it lacks a little something. Coming Attractions looks like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't made it to the Children's Museum yet--looks like a lot of fun, but I don't get down into the city very often. It's on our list!

      We didn't have a pickup, but it wasn't uncommon for us to lay on the roof of my dad's Buick to watch the movies--that was back when cars were a little tougher! But you're right, that's an activity for two or more.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for commenting, everyone! Annette, William Kendall is the commenter (commentator?)randomly drawn out of a hat ... well, actually out of an extra large coffee cup. For some reason my e-mails to you keep getting bounced back.

    ReplyDelete

Follow 50 Authors from 50 States blog for the latest