July 15, 2018

Jennifer Wilck Writes of New Jersey


Writers are often taught to “write what we know.” While I’ve usually taken that advice, only recently did I start to set my books in New Jersey. I’m not sure why I never did before—the state is beautiful and varied and much more than just the turnpike that everyone pictures. So when I wrote my last series, Serendipity, I decided to make at least part of the setting in New Jersey.

When I graduated college, I lived in Jersey City, which is on the Hudson River. The community I lived in was a beautiful modern high-rise apartment complex with gorgeous views of the Manhattan skyline. And it was located right next to Hoboken, a mecca for 20- and 30-somethings.
The streets are tree-lined, many of the buildings have beautiful architecture, but the city itself is filled with bars and restaurants, with easy walking access to the commuter train. It’s a great way to live in New Jersey and commute to New York.

Hoboken’s claim to fame—at least one of them—is Frank Sinatra. His picture hangs in restaurants and there are baseball fields named after him. A more current claim is Buddy Valastro from Carlos’ Bakery and Cake Boss fame.


There’s a heavy Italian influence and the Italian restaurants are fantastic. When I lived there, my friends and I would walk the streets and hang out, listening to music, attending street fairs and of course, enjoy the bar scene.

So it was the perfect setting for my series, which features young professionals—some of whom work in New York City and some of whom work in New Jersey. My daughter and I took a drive and walked around Hoboken, exploring the area, tasting the food and reminiscing.





It’s the perfect blend of old world meets new and is great for a day trip for foodies if you ever get the chance.


***Giveaway*** 
Tell me your favorite foodie place, and I’ll pick a winner to get an e-copy of Addicted to Love, Book 1 in the Serendipity Series.

Here’s the blurb:

Dan Rothberg struggled after an accident killed his wife and he nearly lost custody of his daughter. He can no longer allow himself to get attached to anything or anyone. Until he meets Hannah.

Hannah Cohen is a young executive with a meddlesome grandmother and a troubled brother. She’d like nothing better than to find her own Mr. Right, after too many Mr. Wrongs. A sexy older man with a teenage daughter was never in her plans.

As they navigate their relationship through adolescent attitudes and grandmotherly interference, they realize age is just a number and love can be right in front of them. But when the terrible truth of Dan’s former struggles is exposed, Hannah must decide if she can get past his deception and allow love to conquer all.

Buy Links:
The Wild Rose Press: https://catalog.thewildrosepress.com/all-titles/5133-addicted-to-love.html?search_query=jennifer+wilck&results=2
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Addicted-Love-Serendipity-Book-1-ebook/dp/B071HZQS4S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499096714&sr=8-1&keywords=jennifer+wilck
Biography: Jennifer started telling herself stories as a little girl when she couldn’t fall asleep at night. Her favorite stories to write are those with smart, sassy, independent heroines; handsome, strong and slightly vulnerable heroes; and her stories always end with happily ever after.

In the real world, she’s the mother of two amazing daughters and wife of one of the smartest men she knows. When she’s not writing, she loves to laugh with family and friends, is a pro at finding whatever her kids lost in plain sight, and spends way too much time closing doors that should never have been left open. She believes humor is the only way to get through the day and doesn’t share her chocolate.

She writes contemporary romance, some of which are mainstream and some of which involve Jewish characters. All are available through Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

Social Media:

Blog: http://jenniferwilck.blogspot.com
(info provided and released by author)


17 comments:

  1. This brought back memories of Hoboken, where my cousin used to live - and the most enormous pizza at a restaurant on Washington Street!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yes, we have fabulous pizza and our portions are huge, as you are well aware.

      Delete
  2. Great Blog, Jennifer. New Jersey sounds fascinating. Thank you for sharing. I love in a small town and eating establishments are few and far between, but my favourite place to eat is a small, locally owned place called Ulysses. The Greek food there is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, homemade Greek food is delicious! Thanks so much for stopping by, I really appreciate it.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for highlighting the NJ towns along the Hudson River that have views of NYC that are spectacular. Steven's Tech should be part of the Hoboken scenario because it hangs over the river and overlooks Manhattan. Stevens was my sons first sojourn through colleges and I loved to visit. A New Yorker by birth and in my heart, I raised my family in middle NJ. The foodie I most miss is a Kosher Deli. My mouth waters for a brisket/corned beef/pastrami sandwich on Jewish Rye bread, a potato knish, kishka, a sour dill pickle, and for desert, well a real black and white cookie. Abounding in NYC and NJ, but not in GA, SC, central FL, and only faking it in AZ. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum, yum, yum! I love Kosher delis! We don't have great ones close to me, so when I want it, I have to hunt. Thanks for stopping by, Fran!

      Delete
  4. Sad to say, a have bad kidneys and Italian food, (also Chinese and Mexican food) are no longer on my diet. I'll probably never go as far north as New Jersey. I'm deeply planted in the south. So, I live all this vicariously through you. Loved the book. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could bring you a taste, then. Thanks so much for visiting!

      Delete
  5. Jennifer, thanks for taking us to one of those great New Jersey places many don't know exist. We don't tell everyone, but sometimes Pennsylvanians sneak over to visit and eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Your secret is safe with me. Hope you enjoy it the next time you visit.

      Delete
  6. AnonymousJuly 15, 2018

    I grew up in Central Jersey. I miss the pizza at Buckey's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you're able to go back and visit soon.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing -- especially the Hoboken pix. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. This reminded me of a small pub in Washington called, Barnabys. The steak and ale pie was the best, along with the comfy, intimate booths and old world British atmosphere. Great post, Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, sounds like a lovely place. Thanks for visiting, Mary!

      Delete
  9. Congratulations to JR Lindermuth for winning an e-copy of Addicted to Love! Thanks to everyone for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Follow 50 Authors from 50 States blog for the latest