September 10, 2017

My Oregon, Jane Kirkpatrick

“Oregon, My Oregon” is my state’s song but it’s also how native Oregonians and converts like me feel about our great Northwest home. Despite what you may have heard about Oregon — that it rains all the time, that we’re all moldy and that we want visitors but not new residents— Oregon is an all season, all weather, all welcoming state. She welcomed me 43 years ago (from my native state of Wisconsin) and I’ve become a true convert meeting my husband here and beginning my writing life here. 

The Emerald State is bordered to the south by California and the north by the Columbia River. For twenty-seven years, my husband and I “homesteaded” not far from the Columbia River on a remote ranch. There my writing career began with my memoir Homestead the story of pursuing a dream. Very Oregonian as thousands crossed the plains seeking a dream.  Our homestead, seven miles from the mailbox and 11 miles from a paved road. www.jkbooks.com 

My state was once a territory that ran from the Pacific Ocean to the Western slopes of the Rocky Mountains. Noted historically for its many indigenous people who welcomed Lewis and Clark’s Corps of Discovery in 1804-06, the first settlement of Astoria wasn’t formed until 1811. One woman, an Iowa Indian woman named Marie Dorion, made that journey west to establish that fort with 60 men, her husband and two little boys. (She inspired my three books called The Tender Ties series and fed my own interest in writing novels based on the lives of historical women). https://www.nps.gov/lewi/index.htm. The pioneering spirit of strength, innovation, neighborliness and endurance shown by early settlers continues today. 
Emigrants arrived here on the now famous Oregon Trail from the 1840s onward.  This Road We Traveled is one of my Oregon Trail stories about a 66 year-old woman traveling west from Missouri who was later named the Mother of Oregon by the legislature. Free land meant homesteaders made their way into the lush Willamette Valley where, honestly it does rain a lot.  

But the state boasts several unique landscapes. The Oregon coast has both rugged and serene beaches that lure kite flyers http://www.oregoncoast.org/lincoln-city-summer-kite-festival/  and surfers. We celebrated our 50th year of Oregon’s Beach Bill allowing public access to all of Oregon’s beaches, a unique and rare law. Travel east over the coast range and you’re in the Willamette Valley (that captures the University of Oregon Ducks in Eugene and the Oregon State Beavers in Corvallis. Such gentle water-related mascots we have!) The state capital Salem, and the largest city in the state, Portland (home of National Book Award Winner Ursula LeGuin), and most of Oregon’s population, is in that valley between the coastal mountain range and the Cascades. Southern Oregon brings us the Shakespeare Festival https://www.osfashland.org/ in beautiful Ashland, OR. Not Game of Thrones; better. Our one National park is in southern Oregon as well: Crater Lake. 

The Cascade mountains like a string of beads graces our state from north to south. (Remember the volcano Mt. St. Helen’s? Not in Oregon, but close and part of the same mountain range). Residents and visitors pursue- skiing on Mt. Hood and Mt. Bachelor and Mt. Thielson along with mountain climbing, mountain biking — the longest mountain bike trail of more than 600 miles just opened in Oregon— hiking, hunting, camping and fishing. The Pacific Coast trail goes through the entire state as well. Three Sisters Mountains The view on the way to my favorite Independent Book Store, Paulina Springs, in Sisters, Oregon.

What many people don’t know is that the largest land mass of Oregon is high desert with less than 13 inches of rainfall a year. Big wheat ranches and orchards frame the Columbia River region to the north. Small farms dot the area east of the Cascade mountains where the largest city is Bend (where I live). https://bendchamber.org/ Bend was chosen as Dog City USA a few years ago by Dog Fancy magazine. Bend sits in the 4th fastest growing county in the US and has more microbreweries than dogs. Well, maybe not.

The largest demographic of our growth in Central Oregon is for people between the ages of 20-35. I came here first in 1974 (in that demographic). Met and married my husband next to the Deschutes River, directed the mental health program, stayed ten years then left for 27 years to homestead and write. We returned a few years ago. It’s a different place but I love the vibrancy, energy and young people and families drawn to our “green lifestyle” and the great landscapes. The region blends old ranching and logging lives mixed with University students, high tech and clean energy jobs. Oh, we also have a lot of retirees here who love the sunshine and being 15 minutes from the airport and the many golf courses.

Our Central Oregon region boasts over 300 days of sunshine so no web feet here! Today’s newspaper reported that outdoor recreation brought in $16 billion dollars to our state last year. Reporters had stories about biking with dogs, fishing in the high lakes and the results of the Cascade Cycling Classic.  We have nearly 200 State Parks to enjoy the many landscapes of this state, too.

As a historical novelist, I love Oregon’s commitment to history. Local historical societies keep that history alive. I find dozens of story ideas in this state including in those parks like Shore Acres, five acres of formal garden on the Southern Oregon Coast.

My latest historical novel, All She Left Behind, is an Oregon story based on the life of one of the first women physicians in the state. Readers will meet Jennie Pickett Parrish who reflects many of the state’s pioneering values: people who learned to put their past behind them in order to move forward and to accept the help of others in tough times, then pass the goodness on. Maybe it’s my mental health background…but I find these historical women have much to teach us as they touch us with their lives.  


Jane Kirkpatrick me and my dogs Caesar (l) and Bodacious Bo (r). 
So if you haven’t taken the modern Oregon Trail by plane, train or automobile, this might be the year to do it. You’ll find rest and relaxation, history and inspiration for whatever kind of writing life you’ve chosen. And you’ll be welcomed — with or without your dog. Don’t forget to comment to be eligible to win a signed copy of All She Left Behind. Thanks for making room in your life for these stories!   Don’t forget to comment in order to win a prize! Please leave a form of contact. 

More about Jane Kirkpatrick and her extensive talent of fiction, short fiction and nonfiction right here at her site: http://jkbooks.com

33 comments:

  1. Oregon is a beautiful state, especially along the ocean. I considered Bend when I was looking to relocate, but didn't go further than AZ. It was the rainy weather that made the decision for me. Writing historical fiction is a fun and satisfying genre. I wish you a lot of luck. BTW: Your dogs are adorable. Will check out your books.
    franoren2@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fran. Thanks for commenting. Arizona is lively. I'll be in Tucson in October enjoying your state at the Women Writing the West Conference. Come visit the dry side of Oregon😀

      Delete
  2. Oregon is one of the states I've long wanted to visit, yet never have. You provide an excellent incentive. Enjoyed reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Come visit. Be prepared to be wooed though. You may not want to leave. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  3. Your informative post about Oregon made the state come alive for me. Your novel sounds captivating and wonderful. Best wishes. saubleb(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Come visit and thanks for commenting and entering.

      Delete
  4. Jane, you make your state sound so inviting. I once visited friends in Eugene and went to Crater Lake. I was struck by the quiet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maggie. Crater Lake is lovely! And the high desert country has that quiet too. Eugene isn't as quiet but a great city that feels like a smaller town to me. Maybe it's all those students!

      Delete
  5. Oregon sounds wonderful. I would love to visit this beautiful place with so much scenic beauty. elliotbencan(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just come west! Oregon loves visitors. Thanks for commenting and entering to win my book!

      Delete
  6. Hi Jane, Nice to see you here on 50/50!

    I'm a big fan of Jane's historical novels--she's a wonderful writer, and a wonderful person too! If any of you have not read her books, I highly recommend them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heidi! Coming to your state in October. Should be fun and hopefully I'll see you at WWW. Thank you for your kind words. Happy writing!

      Delete
  7. And now I know even more about my home state! I have read every one of your books and will be finishing your newest right away. Thanks, Jane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I shared a tidbit about Oregon you didn't know my historian friend. Very cool. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. Born and raised here. Never left, never will. Most vacations are in New areas of the state I haven't yet explored. I love Oregon. It's part of me. It's what drew me to your books...a friend let me read one of hers and I was hooked!Reading your new one and A Tendering of Storms. I should have bought one of these as digital so I can read at night when I can't sleep.;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you are native Oregonian! And thanks so much for finding my stories. I love it that they help for insomnia😇

      Delete
  9. I was born and raised in Oregon and except for my college years at the
    University of Washington have lived here my entire life. I was hooked on Jane Kirkpatrick when I read Homestead and my husband and I have loved all of your books. We even took a vacation trip following the trail to Sherars bridge. We love our history as seen through your books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Phyllis. At a signing last week, several people stood around talking about which book they'd read and where they traveled because of it. I joked about renting a tour bus and covering the Northwest visiting places like Sherar's Bridge and the Lilac Gardens and Forest Grove and where Letitia and nancy Reed lived. And now, Salem and Portland where Jennie Pickett lived and worked. Thank you for making room in your lives for these stories. Jane

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love to visit Oregon. One of my dreams came true a few years ago when I trailered my horse to visit friends in Canby. We went to the ocean near Tillamook and with in 30 minutes, I had my horse in the ocean, playing and running in chest high tides. Not to mention a photo shoot riding bareback just for memories. It was a dream that Oregon offered and for that, I'm honored and thankful. I'm close to Pendleton and love the round-up. Let'R Buck! Thank you, Jane for these wonderful facts and stories obout your beautiful state. Best of your new release!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can just picture you in the surf on your horse. I'm telling my sis in law as that's been her dream too. She's in MN. And yes to Pendleton! I should have mentioned the Roundup. Next year when I write another. You ought to sign up for Washington!

      Delete
  12. Oh Jane, I love your books and the "journey" I am able to travel vicariously
    while reading them and reminiscing on them. I was born and raised in Oregon.
    Love the rain as it keeps it all so pretty and colorful.
    God's blessings to you.
    I look forward to reading your most recent novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennie from my latest lived in the rainy side too. I learned that the rain doesn't stop you at all over there! You just let it roll off you like a ducks back. And the green is lush! Glad you are here!

      Delete
  13. I haven't spent much time in Oregon, but I have flown into the Portland airport several times to go to visit my Aunt in the Kelso, WA area.
    I did get to visit Powells Books in Portland on one trip😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh lucky you to visit Powells. I should have mentioned That fabulous book store. I know Kelso too. Did research there for Where Lilacs Still Bloom set in Woodland WA just down the road from your aunt's.

      Delete
    2. Patty can you message me or go to my website to privately leave your snail mail address so I can send you the book. You won????

      Delete
  14. MaryTrimbleBooksSeptember 13, 2017

    We love Oregon! We live in Washington so it isn't a huge distance to drive to Oregon. Most of our vacations are spent in Oregon. We travel with a truck and camper so wilderness camping is often our destination. To us, Oregon is our desired destination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary. I thought I replied but don't see it. When you bring your trailer do you ever come to Central Oregon? We'd love to share that with you.

      Delete
  15. Like many others, I love Oregon too. I have found the people from Oregon to be very welcoming. I appreciate your comment about "unique landscapes" which is also true of my home state of Montana and my adopted state of California.

    I look forward to reading your book. Thanks for introducing it in this unique way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and commenting. Montana does have unique landscapes. Another great state. And I'm always surprised by the variety in California too.

      Delete
  16. Mary Trimble, do you make it with your camper to Central Oregon? Come visit us!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Jane, Thank you for reading my post about Oklahoma. I enjoyed yours about Oregon. My sister once lived in Oregon and I visited her several times and quite liked the cooler weather, cooler than Oklahoma, that is. I've also enjoyed several of your books, and especially like the way you weave truth with fiction. I generally always let my story-characters mingle with real-life people who lived during the English Regency period. Writing is such fun, isn't it? Cheers! --Marilyn Clay

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have lived in Oregon for many years, in Portland for several, of course I was born across the Columbia River in Vancouver, WN. I moved with my two children as a single parent to Roseburg, OR in 1980 and have been here ever since. I've spent time at the coast (Bandon is my favorite) and in Bend. Fell in love with the Columbia River Gorge in the 60's and that is where we would take drives and explore. I am an artist and paint landscapes, seascapes, forests, whales, and an occasional portrait. I met Jane in Sun River this fall and had read some of her books, including Homestead. Listening to her peaked my interest again and am now working on all of her books. They are great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved all of Jane Kirkpatrick's book, but especially this last one, "All She Left Behind"!

    How inspiring, to know that no matter what obstacle we've had in the past, we can springboard on to achieve our dreams!!!

    ReplyDelete

Follow 50 Authors from 50 States blog for the latest