October 16, 2016

Volunteers, Mountains, and a Dragon? Who but Helen Henderson Knows!



Greetings from western Tennessee. I’m Helen Henderson and describe myself as a tour guide to the stars and worlds of imagination. Magic and fantasy are my stock in trade. Dragons are my friends and I was able to catch the picture of a water dragon sunning itself on the grass at Discovery Park in Union City.



Today I’m proud to share a few thoughts about my heart-home Tennessee.


As a recent transplant, I can’t hide my northern heritage and background. My jersey burr tinged with Pennsylvania coal country accent gives me away as soon as I open my mouth. However, there is the place that you were born and the place you were meant to be from. The first time I crossed the Natchez Trace, I knew I was home.

So let’s talk Tennessee.


Tennessee is rich in music, history, natural beauty, to name a few things. Depending on your tastes, the word music brings to mind the twang of a county song from Nashville, soulful blues on Beale Street in Memphis, or the sound of the King, Elvis Presley. However, there is more than what comes from the recording studio. Concerts don’t have to be in large venues. The sound of bluegrass and fiddle drift over town squares or from the porch in places such as the Shelby Forest General Store. And don’t forget to try one of their world-famous hamburgers.


Speaking of food, one of the first things I had to adjust to after moving to the mid-South was “slaw.” To the uninitiated, that is the quick way to say coleslaw. The condiment is usually matched with the question, “Do you want slaw on your barbeque?” BBQ sandwiches have more than sauce atop the meat. Slaw is there too.

This post is too short to go into the history of Tennessee. Tales can be of life and death, of settlement and re-settlement. From the volunteers who came out of the mountains to defend the country to the dead of the Civil War battlefields, there are stories to be told in every town. And I look forward to exploring them all as I travel my adopted state, Tennessee.


As I range farther from the Memphis flatlands and the Mighty Mississippi towards the Great Smoky Mountains, there will be lush forests and waterfalls, each more gorgeous than the one before. Come on down and join me. I’ll be sitting on my porch watching the hummingbirds and dragonflies flit amidst the crepe myrtle and working on my next novel.


I’m offering readers who comment on this post a choice between a pdf of Windmaster (Book 1 of the Windmaster Novels) or Dragon Destiny (Book 1 of the Dragshi Chronicles). Please indicate your preference in your comment and leave contact info. Winner will be chosen at random. I look forward to your comments.


A former feature-story writer and correspondent, Henderson says she has also written fiction as long as she could remember. Her heritage reflects the contrasts of her Gemini sign. She is a descendent of a coal-miner's daughter and an aviation flight engineer. This dichotomy shows in her writing, which crosses genres from historical westerns to science fiction and fantasy. As far as her writing style, a reviewer said she “creates fast-paced stories with characters who come to life in the reader's mind.”



Henderson’s debut novel was Windmaster. Revenge set Ellspeth and the Archmage Dal on the path to her destiny, but prophecy controlled the journey.Trapped within the Oracle's Temple, Ellspeth must choose between her own survival, saving the future of magic... or love.


The Dragshi Chronicles started out as a short story. It grew into a full-length novel, Dragon Destiny. The characters refused to leave and the tale of the trader girl Anastasia, the dragshi Lord Branin, and his dragon soul-twin Llewlyn, grew into a series with the fourth volume, Hatchling’s Vengeance, released in July 2016.
 

Helen can be found online at the following places:



Goodreads – http://bit.ly/1eWhhGB

(info provided by author)

10 comments:

  1. TN is lovely...been to Nashville and Pigeon Forge areas...

    Good luck and God's blessings

    PamT

    PS: please do NOT include me in drawing - Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Annette. thank you for having me and allowing me to share a few thoughts on my adopted state, Tennessee. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm originally from SC and love to visit Tennessee. It's a beautiful state. Nice post, Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Nehrings have enjoyed many visits to Tennessee--as you say, Memphis east toward Smokies. Have been to Killer Nashville in Nashville area several times. Thanks for the re-visit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have just discovered Elvis, lol, and if that were all TN had, it would be riches. But I also love bluegrass, and Nashville is a wonderful city. Someday I have to see the countryside. Thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carly, thanks for stopping by. If you love Elvis, a trip to Graceland is a must. Just don't think that's all Memphis has to offer. I swear there's talent around every corner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nadine, glad I could bring up a good memory. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nightingale, almost moved to South Carolina. One of my publishers was there and I fell in love with history and elegance of Charleston. But Tennessee won out. But I'll be back to SC one of these days. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll have the post for the State of Tennessee in 2017. I enjoyed this. I visited the Natchez Trace once too. Your don't forget. We found Tennessee in 2008 and we loved it more than all the other many states we've lived in throughout our lives (and there's been many). Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Linda thanks for stopping by. I look forward to seeing your Tennessee. With help I can hide some of my accent, but cannot yet say "ten" or "Tennessee" without giving myself away. Have fun with the post. I look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete

Follow 50 Authors from 50 States blog for the latest